If you are interested in becoming a teacher, we can help you to look behind the headlines and find out what being a teacher today is really like. You will be able to observe lessons and talk to current teaching staff in this vibrant and outstanding secondary school in Birmingham.
What is school experience?
This is an opportunity to get into schools and observe the everyday work of teachers and students as it happens. Placement days can range from on-off initial visits to up to 10 day placements. We can organise for you to:
- Visit a range of classes in your subject to observe teaching and behaviour management strategies.
- Observe a range of ages and abilities.
- Talk to a specialist teacher in your subject about what it is like to teach a specialism and what current changes may have occurred in the subject.
- Talk to a trainee or newly qualified teacher about the route they took into teaching and their experiences of teaching placements, interviews and the realities of teaching.
- Talk to an experienced member of teaching staff to discuss the current issues relevant to today’s teaching profession.
- Discuss the teacher training options available.
Do I need school experience?
If you are thinking of or have actually applied for a teacher training course, you will be expected to have a minimum of 10 days current teaching experience.
School experience placements also enable you to see if teaching is the appropriate career for you.
It can also be a great way to promote your skills and qualities when applying for a school direct place at Lordswood Girls School.
How do I get school experience?
Use the following link to register for the School Experience Programme with the Get Into Teaching Team: Get Into Teaching’s School Experience Programme.
Alternatively you can contact the following staff members who will advise you of the available school experience dates:
Miss C Hart – email@example.com
Mrs K Adamson – firstname.lastname@example.org
We currently offer school experience in the following department areas:
What will be expected of me?
- For all placements we expect visitors to dress professionally and observe the school’s professional standards and policies.
- If you require any additional placement days after the initial visit you will need to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. This may take up to four weeks and there is a cost involved which you will need to cover. Further information on obtaining a DBS check can be found at: DBS checks.